I recently cleaned out my closet and it felt so good. It’s so much less stressful in the morning. I’m now able to easily find outfits without having to navigate through old clothes and empty hangers. I feel empowered! You can too — here are some rules for decluttering your closet and every other room in your house from organizing expert Lori Greiner.
For Every Room in the House
• Don’t hesitate, eliminate. Take a day or even a few hours to review what you need and what you really don’t.
• Buy smart. Furniture should have storage areas where possible. This will efficiently maximize space.
• Get a filing cabinet! Everyone needs one to organize bills, important documents, photos, magazine clippings, etc.
• Multipurpose organizers are key. Use organizers that can hold multiple types of products together such as shoes and belts instead of one or the other.
Conquering the Closet
• Hold your own yearly fashion show and try on every garment. Separate pieces into three piles: keep, donate and throw away. One person’s trash is another’s treasure.
• Put your closet on a diet. Only keep hangers that are thinner than ¼ inch thick. Thick hangers take up way too much space.
• Live in the Season! Only use one season’s worth of clothing and products at a time, placing out of season items in the back of the closet or in storage.
• Vertical storage is optimal. Using vertical organizers allows you to store the maximum amount of belongings in the smallest amount of space.
• Group essentials in both closets and drawers by color and style. It will look beautiful and you will be able to see what you have at a glance.
Battling the Bathroom Blitz
• Makeup and medicine doesn’t last forever- get rid of expired medicines and products you haven’t used.
• Get an organizer that arranges cosmetics in groupings – all lipsticks, eye shadows, and pencils together. Ensure they are standing up so you can quickly see the name or color.
• Arrange medicines in a neat and uniform way. Keep products that treat similar symptoms together.
Lori Greiner is a well-respected inventor, entrepreneur and organizational expert. Regarded as the most prolific inventor of products for women of her time, Lori started with one idea and turned it into a $500 million dollar brand. A familiar face on QVC for the past 14 years, she has launched over 250 products and holds 107 US and international patents. Check out her website www.LoriGreiner.com