Back to school time can be just as tough on parents as it is on kids. I created a “Back to Campus Shopping Checklist” for GetButtonedUp.com and just about now grade school students are getting supply lists sent to them. But what about a checklist for parents? For that I turned to my mother-in-law, Irene Berman. She shares my love of lists and stationary.
She has taught public school for over 30 years in New York and Chicago. This past June she retired and I’ve never seen anyone so upset to leave a job. She really loves finding creative ways to teach kids things for the first time. It’s an amazing trait – I could never do it.
Here’s her Back to School Checklist for Parents:
- Take advantage of back to school clothes sales in July and August.
- Organize closets to help kids get ready faster in the morning.
- Get back to a school time bed routine. You might want to practice with an alarm clock.
- Try to get your child’s supply list and shop during sales because Halloween items come out soon.
- Update your calendar with school holidays and events.
- Check your immunization and medical records to make sure they are up to date.
- Make your sure you have emergency phone numbers and contacts for the school to reach.
- Create an IN/OUT box for school notice and forms.
- Get your home ready by organizing a quiet place for your child do do his homework.
- Create a homework box-with all supplies needed for homework…NO EXCUSES!!!! Also, if your kids are a little younger and need a helping hand with a certain area of learning, you could visit somewhere like Little Thinkers Center to get them back into learning!