I treat shopping like a sport. I love to sniff out the best deals and values by clipping coupons, collecting discount codes and doing my homework before making a purchase. I’ve battled my way through the crowds on many a Black Friday but this year as many of you gear up to take advantage of shopping’s biggest day…I will not be going to the stores. I’ve officially retired from Black Friday shopping for several reasons:
1. It’s Stressful: Fighting crowds, waiting in line, finding a parking spot and possibly not even getting the item I came to get makes me anxious. It’s so much easier to just get some online shopping coupons on sites like PromoCodeWatch than fighting my way through the shops! There is nothing exciting about putting yourself in a stressful situation. Sure you might save some cash but is it really worth your sanity? I’ve decided it’s not. I’ve done too many stories working in news about people getting trampled while getting the newest Elmo doll. I’m serious!
2. I Hate Amateur Shoppers: Black Friday attracts everyone — not just seasoned shoppers like myself 🙂 — so I reject it. Most of the Black Friday shoppers only do their holiday shopping on this day. As you know — I don’t subscribe to this technique as I start my holiday shopping in August. Again see Elmo trampling example — I’d like to avoid that.
3. I Get to Sleep Late: Some of the “door buster” deals start as early as midnight or 4 A.M. — no thanks. No deal is that good that I will sacrifice my beauty sleep. The last time I got up at 4 A.M. on Black Friday was about 4 years ago. That was my last Black Friday outing. Jay and I got a flat screen TV for a steal but it was stressful and hectic. Now I only get up at 4 A.M. to catch a flight to a fabulous destination.
4. There Will Be Other Deals: I used to get all frantic about Black Friday — like I would never see a sale or deal again. But trust me, you will. There will be deals all throughout December trying to lure you into stores and online shops. Don’t get sucked into the hype.
5. I Love Shopping in my PJs: Online shopping has changed the game for me. It’s amazing. Online only retailers like Amazon.com and Overstock.com have Black Friday deals as well and I can sit in my PJs with some green tea and shop til my heart’s content! There’s also Cyber Monday to look forward to. What can I say? I’m totally spoiled by technology!