We all have our daily routines, it’s what keeps us productive and gives order to our busy lives. But without trying anything new, you can easily get stuck in a rut. It’s good to break out of your shell and attempt something you’ve always wanted to do, whether its yoga (Here’s a checklist for starting yoga) or you could be franchising a cleaning business with an established brand to build your next venture. If I didn’t muster up the courage to start this blog I wouldn’t be where I am today — 3 years later!
So here is a checklist to get you motivated for new exciting things!
1. Do Not Be Afraid: This is the very first thing you need to check off your list. You can’t start anything new if you don’t think you can do it. You have to get into the mind set and be confident in yourself! I mean, what is the worst that can happen?! You hate it, you stop doing it? So what. At least you tried it and did what you said you would. Here is a motivating speech from my girl Oprah to pump you up.
2. Find The Time: It’s easy to have the excuse “I don’t have any time,” but you can make it. Want to try a new workout regime? Wake up an hour earlier or wait to clean the house til tomorrow (a sink full of dishes isn’t the end of the world!) Want to learn Spanish – all you need is 15 minutes a day to pick up a few words. Write down a schedule and stick to it. Once you put it in your calendar it’s much easier to commit and make sure you do it at that time. There are some great scheduling apps that will remind you to sign up for that hot yoga class.
3. End Boredom: Switching up your routine keeps things fresh. Doing the same thing day in and day out can leave you mentally unstimulated. What do you have to look forward to if you know the outcome all the time? So be spontaneous!
4. Do Your Research: Before you start something new its always good to find out more about it. As a journalist I’m always looking for the right way to do something before I start it so I save time and money. One thing most people look for when setting up a new business venture, is a loan. It is extremely important to find a company like freshloan (https://www.freshloan.co.uk) who have no paperwork to fill out, and make everything really easy. But you want to find a company who you can trust to start this out with. Do your research! If you do something right the first time around you won’t get frustrated and are more likely to stick to it. I’ve also learned in B School that if you “turn pro” and give an activity your all — you are much more likely to take it seriously and become successful.
5. Tell Someone About It: Tell a friend, your mom, or a colleague about your new venture. This way you are held accountable and will want to follow through. This also opens the door for someone to actually ask you “how’s that new venture going?” You’d much rather tell them how fabulous it has been and how you can’t believe you’ve waited so long — rather than that you haven’t even started it up yet.
6. Use the Buddy System: Find a buddy to work with you on it. You can lean on one another for support and encouragement. Having someone to try something new with will keep you more motivated and even be more fun.
Try Something New Now
Now that you have the tools to get started make a list of all the things that you’d like to do. This could be anything you’ve always wanted to do — start a book club, sign up for a cooking class, illustrate a children’s book — the possibilities are endless! Make the list and share it with me in the comments below– that way you’ll be one step closer to actually doing it!