Tonight I will be attending the inaugural New York Women in Communications‘ WiCi awards. This awards ceremony honors pioneering women who are changing the field of communications. The incredible women being honored are pushing the communications industry forward and are inspiring the leaders of tomorrow. I’m excited to attend.
This got me thinking about women who inspire me. Having mentors and women to look up to has been one of the biggest positive forces to propel me forward in my life and in my career. Here’s a list of the women who inspire me (in no particular order!):
- Oprah Winfrey – talk show host, actress, producer, philanthropist, and rumored list-maker… she does it all!
- Martha Stewart – founder of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, television personality, crafter, cook, overall jane of all trades
- Barbara Walters – co-host of The View and former anchor of 20/20, The Today Show, and ABC Evening News – just to name a few!
- Cathy Krein – my journalism professor at Hofstra University
- Giada di Laurentiis – host of her own Food Network show and author of several delicious Italian-themed cookbooks
- Sheryl Sandberg – COO of Facebook and author of the empowering book Lean In
- Madonna – singer-songwriter, actress, author, director, entrepreneur, and philanthropist. Have I mentioned she’s a list-maker?
- Maya Angelou – American author and poet who was very influential in the civil rights movement
- Michelle Obama – current First Lady of the United States
- Hillary Clinton – her resume includes Secretary of State, New York State Senator, and First Lady of the United States
- Katie Couric – American journalist who has worked for ABC, NBC, and CBS in her career
- Leah Busque – she’s the founder of TaskRabbit
- Elizabeth Gilbert – American author best known for Eat, Pray, Love
- Kathryn Stockett – the author of The Help. She was turned down 60 times before her book was sold!!
- Diane Sawyer – current anchor of ABC World News and former co-anchor of Good Morning America
- My mom – she can always find the silver lining in any situation and has always been the gentle push I need to be better at everything
Here are some of the people who inspire me. Who inspires you?