Even the best ideas can sometimes fall apart when they are presented with doubt and anxiety. In fact, a confident presentation style can sometimes be just as important as the ideas being presented. While believing in yourself and in your plans is easier said then done, luckily there are ways to trick yourself into feeling more confident.
1. How You Stand – At a recent TED talk, Amy Cuddy, a social psychologist, suggested that standing in a posture of confidence, even when we don’t feel confident can affect testosterone and cortisol levels in the brain. it might even have an impact on our chances for success. Stand in a power pose, with your hands on your hips to feel more in command of a situation.
2. What You Wear – We can all be quite self conscious about our physical appearance. If we feel like we’re not looking our best, we’re less likely to act our best. This isn’t an excuse to go on a shopping spree. But be sure to have a few select outfits that you know you look great in, for those days when you need to feel great.
3. How You Smell – Believe it or not a study found that women felt more confident in social, business and romantic situations when wearing perfume. But make sure not to over do it and overpower the room with your scent. You want to do that with your words.
4. What You Say – When we are nervous we have a tendency to sell ourselves short. We say things like “We could try this” or “Maybe we should do that”. As awkward as it may feel, stating your ideas clearly and unapologetically is the best way to get them heard.
5. How You Feel – Thinking negatively about others or the world around you will often make you feel negative. Remember my favorite quote from Oprah? “You Become What You Believe” It applies here. Smiling for a minute – even if you don’t feel like it – has been shown to make you feel happier. Likewise the more you compliment others, the more complimentary you will feel about yourself.
How do you boost your confidence?