It may seem simple but clearing clutter will do a world of difference for your stress levels. In fact – there was a UCLA study that found whenever a woman is around clutter, her stress hormones skyrocket. We don’t want that! So let’s start small — like by decluttering your desktop.
I can’t believe how long I let my desktop stay littered with photos, documents and even shortcuts that I never used. I would navigate around all the clutter and it would slow me down. Don’t forget — every second counts! So just having to clear away unnecessary photos and folders or wasting time looking for something you “know is here somewhere,” takes up your precious time. Well let’s take it back!
1. Create categorized folders like ‘photos’ and ‘documents’.
2. Move all the picture files into the photos folder, etc.
3. Look at the remaining files, think – do I really need this? If you haven’t looked at it in over a year the answer is probably no.
4. If you still have files left over put them in an ‘Odds and Ends’ folder.
5. Revisit this practice every so often. I’d say every 3 or 4 months. Because even though now you have folders and order — sometimes it’s tough to keep to using them.
Once you get in the groove of clearing digital clutter — you can attack your Facebook page, Twitter feed and even your apps.
What are some other ways to clean out your digital life?