September is coming to an end and there’s definitely a chill in the air here in New York. It’s that “back to school” weather finally kicking in. My husband Jay hates winter! Around this time of year he starts getting sad about the colder weather and says we need to move to California for some sunshine!
The winter blues aren’t just a feeling – it’s a real problem called seasonal affective disorder (SAD) and it’s caused by a lack of vitamin d. Sufferers of SAD can invest in light therapy lamps, as they supposedly have a positive influence on the chemicals in the brain that affect people’s moods. You might want to get yourself a happy light amazon delivery in the coming weeks to try and brighten your mood while the weather only gets darker and darker. So what else can you do to lift your mood this fall? Short of moving to California?
Here’s a list of some of the things I like to do in winter that make me happy and might boost your mood too:
- Plan a dinner party – When it’s cold outside we feel a lot less motivated to go out in the evenings. But you can’t spend every Friday on your couch. Instead invite some friends around for some good food and good company! You could even have a theme party based on upcoming movies like The Peanuts Movie or the new James Bond film. Think of the endless lists you can make to prepare!
- Have a wood burning fire – Fireplaces are cozy and the smell will remind you of Christmas and put you in a nostalgic mood.
- Get into a new TV show – Fall is the start of the new TV season and there’s plenty of new shows to try! I’m excited for Homeland!
- Have something to look forward to – Last weekend I went on a yoga cruise. I booked it a couple of weeks ago, and I’ve been looking forward to it ever since. New plans – whether it’s a weekend getaway or a yoga class are great to help keep us motivated.
- Catch up with friends – Summer is always a super busy time. People are going off on their vacations and taking advantage of the good weather. It’s possible that there are some friends you haven’t seen since May! Now’s a good time to meet up and reminisce about summer and plan for the future.
- Do some Christmas shopping – I like to do all my present shopping months in advance so I feel less pressure in the lead up to the holidays. Giving makes us feel better, so looking for gifts for family and friends is a good way to lift your spirits.
- Buy winter supplies – A good coat or a nice pair of gloves can help you feel more prepared for the bad weather to come.
- Have a makeover – Services like Glam Squad will send a hairstylist and makeup artist straight to you. Treat yourself to a little pampering – when you look good, you feel good!
- Start thinking about New Year’s Eve – It’s still awhile away, but it’ll be here before you know it. Send out an email now to get a feel for what friends are doing and maybe you can brainstorm something super exciting this year.
How do you boost your mood during fall and winter?