It’s called The List App — and it’s like Twitter for lists.
You can create and share all your best lists. You can also request a list from users – so you could ask your friend what they favorite food is, or you can ask Snoop Dogg for a list of his favorite movies. (Yes, even Snoop Dogg has an account!)
The app was created by The Office actor and writer B J Novak along with Dev Flaherty. On producthunt.com Novak explains why he created the app:
“I just love ’em. I’m always asking people for lists of favorite restaurants in certain cities, or documentaries on Netflix that are good, and originally wanted a place where people could request and share those types of lists with friends. There’s still a lot of that.
But we’ve also discovered what I think we all knew deep down – that lists are addictive, because they’re the way our brains naturally order things anyway. It enables substance way easier than other forms of writing because it is often the connective tissue that gets in the way.”
The app encourages people to share all kinds of lists, not just shopping lists. There are lists on hot new music alongside lists of favorite emojis!
Here are some of my favorite lists:
- Rachael Ray on things that make her feel old – “Having to move my arms more then my eyes in order to read.”
- Mindy Kalling on her perfect Sunday – “Go to barre class around 9:30. Do about 60% of the exercises.”
- Shonda Rhimes on the people she’d like to be for a day – “Blue Ivy Carter and Ruth Bader Ginsburg.”
- Lena Dunham on stressful Uber drivers – “One told me about his DUI.”
- Ina Garten included on her list of important provisions in a hurricane – “Vodka” and “Homemade outrageous brownies.”
The app is quite new, so many of my favorite list making celebrities haven’t made their way over to it yet! But they will.
The only downside to The List App is you can’t link to a list like you would on Twitter, you can only share (or relist) it within the app. I suspect it’s to keep users logged into the app, but it makes it more difficult for me to share interesting lists with you!